Tuesday, January 24, 2006

She's got something extra

We just returned from my grandmother's funeral. I cried an ugly cry and I am certain I embarrassed my family by breaking the "show no emotion" rule, but nonetheless I feel that we said our farewells, each in our own way.

On the way to the cemetery, I remembered a time when I was in middle school and shared with my grandmother that a girl in my class had hurt my feelings. (We all know that middle school girls are more dangerous than a highly trained ninja.) She listened intently and said, "It's not as if she has anything extra." Translation: She's no better than you are.

I thought about that and in my mind as the pastor gave the eulogy on this cold and windy day, I thought that instead of "beloved mother", it should have read, "She had something extra."

I want to thank each of you for your wonderful words of support. Whatever would we do without our "chosen family" of friends.

The photo above is of a glass oil lamp, blown by a local artist. Yesterday before visitation began I didn't want to wait at the hotel, so I ventured downtown in the little community where the services were held. I stopped in a yarn shop and then a little corner store. I was fascinated by the beautiful orbs floating in the window as the sun show through.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

If you can't have an ugly cry over your Grandma, who can you have an ugly cry over? :)

Caroline said...

That was a very touching post and I love the glass lamp. It is beautiful. And the message from your post was beautiful.

emily said...

This post is beautiful.

FarmWife said...

Your grandmother was very wise and definitely had "something extra," as does her granddaughter.

heidikins said...

I am with you on the ugly crying - but I agree with Jennifer - if not over your grandmother - then who? I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with your family.

Nan said...

I'm sure it was a hard day for all of you, but it sounds like it was held together with strings of memories each of you had of her.

The orb is beautiful! Goes well with the thoughts you've posted about your grandmother.