Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Charmed life

When I was a little girl I rarely got a chance to look in my mother's big wooden jewelry box. But once in a while she'd show me something very precious: her charm bracelet. I was mesmerized by the stories I was certain each charm represented. Some she'd share with me, some she wouldn't.

Each Christmas I asked for a bracelet of my own. After losing my felt Brownie beanie in the rain, all of my books on the first day of seventh grade and my post-braces retainer, I realize that my parents and Santa had probably not listened to my incessant begging for a good reason.

Eventually, some time before my 30th birthday and well after I had learned to keep up with my belongings, my wishes were granted and I was given a bracelet of my own, with three charms: a telephone, an angel and a pencil. I come from a long line of talkers, some of which prefer the telephone, so I assume that's why she chose it. The angel I am certain was representative of one of my favorite books, "The Littlest Angel" and the pencil was a salute to my career, at that time, as a newspaper reporter.

I've since added lots of charms to my bracelet including traffic signals, pine cones, airplaces, birthday cakes and horseshoes. Each one marks a moment in time, a special occasion, a particular memory, a memorable trip, a new hobby or interest. . .

In all honesty I rarely wear it, it makes a bit of a racket and is pretty heavy. I also lost it not long ago the the depths of a couch while visiting friends. Luckily they recovered it and it made its way safely back to my box of jewelry.

I have had two charms sliding around in my top drawer for some time, awaiting their place on the bracelet and today I finally stopped by the jeweler's to have them secured to the the links. I couldn't help but to turn it round and round in my hand, remembering each one, recalling the significance. And it reminded me of the mysteries that my mother's version held. . . I was glad that I had my own secrets tucked away on a silver bracelet of my own.

5 comments:

Lynilu said...

I love the stories that come with charm bracelets. Without the stories, they are just ... noisy bracelets!

Kissed Knitter said...

Love it! I have one too and I've given both my girls one and some charms.

FarmWife said...

Now I'll have to post about mine! QM had one that I loved but was never allowed to wear. Mama & Daddy got me one for my birthday a few years before BabyGirl was born, and they've added to it since. I love it...mine also tells my stories.

Maybe tomorrow I'll post it.

madretz said...

I love charm bracelets and the stories they tell...what Lynilu said!

I started one a few years ago with 4 or 5 charms but haven't bought any more since so it's kind of lost it's meaningfulness. I should break that baby out. Thanks for the post as inspiration!

Nan said...

I have one, too. Kind of sparse, but a story for each charm.

Mary Englebreit's Magazine featured charm bracelets a few years ago. They took them and put them against a black background (open clasp) and framed them. Gorgeous, and a meaningful treasure out where it can be enjoyed. They aren't just for wrists after all.

I wish I had time to scan and publish the pages for you...maybe after the wedding.