Sunday, October 21, 2007

Saturday (And our family grew)

On Saturday morning we gathered to prepare for a very momentous occasion, one of those occasions that will be recorded as part of your family history, will be forever part of your collective memory and will always be recalled with a smile.

As we hung the garland handmade by my brother and his new bride, as we strung lights, put jars of fresh flowers from their garden on the tables, as we placed tiny lights along the pathway leading into reception hall, as we laid home-made crisp cookies at each place setting, we were all taking part in what would be their wedding.

There couldn't have been a more perfect setting: a small green lawn surrounded by autumnal trees, situated among the mountains. The nearby reception hall reminded me much of the grange halls I had read about. Her dress she had refashioned using the fabric from her mother's. My brother was handsome in his dark suit. As we watched them exchange vows, vows they had written, you could literally feel the sincerity.

The wedding and events leading up to and following were non-traditional, but perhaps more appropriate and fitting than any I had been involved in. They celebrated the couple, they honored family and they recognized relationships. From outdoor family dinners to picnics to fiddles at the ceremony, everything was suitable and reminiscent of the duo.

The decorations, as I mentioned, were all created by my brother and his bride, as well as their friends. The couple had collected tea cups, saucers and dessert plates throughout the year, all mismatched and encouraged their guests to take home one of each.

And yesterday my family grew by leaps, as we welcomed not only my new sister-in-law, but her wonderful family as well.

(And the cake was amazing! Light frothy icing, blueberry filling. . .mmmmmm.)

We're headed home.

Photos:
Signs and flowers leading to the wedding.

Mounds of cups waiting for coffee.

3 comments:

Nan said...

I love non-traditional weddings!!! This sounds like a lovely one.

madretz said...

the tea cup idea is one of the best i've heard. tea cups are so intimate, you can share your soul with a cup of tea.

Knitting Bandit said...

It sounds so "lovely" (that word makes me feel old). And fun! And maybe even a little "crazy". And delicious--mmmmm I can almost taste that cake!