Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A moment to stop and smell the music

It seems that I when I like something: I really like it. And this applies to my music.

I have been a long time fan of the Dixie Chicks. That's not such a popular thing in these here parts, but alas, I cannot deny the three ladies and I rushed out the day their CD hit the shelves at Target and purchased it with my hard-earned money. I am aligned with them politically. I am connected to them musically. Speak with your spending, not with a hateful letter, smashed CD case or ridiculous t-shirt. Let's leave it at that.

Cynical and I don't share the same musical tastes as he is inhabited by a black woman with incredible vocal range. I, however, have been following the cult of singer-songwriter. We both, however are fans of the Chicks. I am also a fan of Patty Griffin and well, the Chicks often sing her songs, so there's an even stronger connection between me and the trio.

I was not disappointed. I knew I wouldn't be. From the make no apologies/take no prisoners response to criticism of comments made by Ms. Natalie in "Not Ready to Make Nice" to the sad, sad sentiment of "Silent House", I luvved it all. The music is powerful. The lyrics are strong and brazen. I expected nothing less and I invite you to take a listen. . . put your politics aside and listen. Listen to the pain. Listen to the lullaby. Listen to the incredible work of three very talented and sensitive songwriters and artists.

1 comment:

Brinton said...

When I read the line "not a popular thing around here" I thought, "Oh, she must be from Texas." I was then surprised to see you're from my own home state. Fear not, there are still plenty of Chicks fans in the bluegrass, as long as there is still plenty of bluegrass in the Chicks.