Monday, December 29, 2008

Where have I been?

Um, it seems I was gobbled up by the holidays. Forgive me for being so non-present for the past week or so. I know how much you like to read about our roller coaster of a life. (Cough. Cough.)

The past few days have been a bit of a whirlwind, I am sure it's been much the same for you. We've been hosts to lots of family and friends. We've had some quality time with both. That's the true blessing of the holiday. I was able to sit, knit and visit with my beloved sister-in-law, play games alongside my 13-year-old-but-still-loving nephew, hang out with my brother who lives afar, dine with some dear to us and even get in some shopping with a friend from way up North. In between we ate together and opened lots of carefully wrapped packages. So many generous friends and family. Thanks to each of you for the goodies! We weren't that good last year, seriously!

After all of the fun and mayhem, I discovered that what I had been most denying was true. I am sick, some sort of a respiratory thing. It has kicked my butt for the past three days. I'm not a good patient and have been caught pouting over the fact that I don't feel like doing anything. As a result, I missed a four year old's birthday party and an outing with friends in from way west. So, today I decided I'd be victorious over mucus, coughing and chapped nose. I took down and stowed all of our Christmas stuff, save the lights on the tree. Hoping Cynical will help me conquer those. I have otherwise removed all signs of the holidays, putting away gifts and wrapping up ornaments.

Meanwhile, two very nice men are climbing all over our roof, hammering this, sawing that and emptying our bank accounts. Yep, we're getting our roof repaired. And guess what? The part they are replacing now isn't even our problem, it was an issue noticed earlier and upon investigation was more of a problem than we anticipated. Ugh. Double ugh. They have also removed portions of our siding, noting that they were improperly installed and opening yet another way for water to enter the house. Wonderful. Good news, they are fixing it. Bad news, it's gonna cost us. This place better be fit to float whenever they leave. Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Ramblin73 said...

Nothing like some expensive home repairs just after the most expensive holiday. Its only money.

Rudy said...

Like Pilot said above, Nothing says Christmas like a flat tire on my work car, a coolant leak, thermostat stuck open and a windshield washer arm stripped on the van. Christmas Miracles ALL AROUND!!! I think real life is waiting for me to have a bit of extra cash so it can punch me in the face and take it from me. Cynical much???? YES MUCH!!!