Sunday, January 22, 2006

And I've seen rain

I mentioned in my previous post that even though pre-planning a funeral is an incredible gift for the loved ones left behind, it leaves them a little lost and wandering aimlessly.

In an effort to stay busy until we leave town for visitation and the services, we met with Cynical's family for lunch. It was a nice distraction, but I seem to get a little choked up whenever anyone wants to comfort me. I hate that. I don't like to get emotional in front of anyone. I am not a graceful crier. I have always wished that I could cry like the women in movies: with a single tear trickling down my cheek. Instead, my face turns red, my eyes swell up, I become nasally and snotty. Whenever I try to talk, it only escalates the whole thing and I am a mess within a matter of seconds. I hate it.

We also ventured to the newly-opened Sam's Club. You can't live with it. You can't live without it. As much as I hate that whole franchise, I can't pass up a bargain on cat litter or frozen shrimp.

We are home now, having braved a day of rain. I am packed and ready to go. Cynical has to work tomorrow and attend class tomorrow night. As much as I understand he can't come up until later, I hate it. I hate knowing that I am flying solo on this until he gets there. I wish our lives didn't get in the way of these things.

On another note, I can trace my love of sugar and all things sweet directly to my grandmother. That woman loved sweets, particularly ice cream. Like grandmother, like granddaughter it seems. I have been trying to think of a way to celebrate my grandmother in a very special way following the funeral, something we could do as a family, something that would make us smile, something that would remind us of her. I have decided that ice cream is the ticket. Nothing would please her more than to know that we saluted her with icecream and all of the fixins.

8 comments:

Joy said...

3 things.

1) I'm so sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you.
2) The crying you describe...Oprah calls that the "ugly cry". There's the one glistening tear, then the abyss.
3) I hate Walmart and Sam's Club, too. Mostly because I hate the crowds getting in and around them. But, you're right, you can't beat the deals. I try to support Target and Costco more, though. Bearable and even enjoyable.

Ragged Around the Edges said...

That's the perfect way to describe it: an ugly cry.

I so love Target, but darnit, they don't have food here. Please Target, expand into frozen foods.

Jennifer said...

I feel the same way. When I'm upset I don't want sympathy or hugs...I just want to be left alone so I can hold it together. Any bit of empathy when I'm upset will cause me to fall apart.

And I'm any ugly crier too. :) my nose runs and my face turns red and i sob uncontrollably. Pretty!

FarmWife said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope your trip is a safe one and (although a sad time) a good one.
Cry all you want and eat your sweets for your grand.
May God bless you and your family.

Caroline said...

I am so sorry about your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Nan said...

I don't cry unless my mother cries, then the dam breaks.

I think the ice cream is a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer and I are incredibly alike.

At both of my grandparents' funerals, I was convinced that people wouldn't leave you alone until you were bawling. They just kept going on and on until the tears started to fall. Then, they left - 'mission accomplished'.

Some people should be kicked more.

musicgeek said...

So sorry about your Grandma, Ragged.

When a beloved Grandma in my family died, a few of us grandkids went back to the gravesite later in the evening. We had a special toast to Grandma with her favorite pina colada mix. We drank, we laughed, and remembered the special, irreplaceable person that she was.

That's the kind of send-off I hope to have.