Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Bring me a dream

I like sleep. I like lots of sleep. I like my sleep at night, not during the day. Let me rephrase that: I love sleep. I love lots of sleep. I love my sleep at night not during the day.

So, that’s probably why I am dragging today and a little cranky. It seems that during Vacation 2005 I had gotten off my strict schedule and it’s taking me a while to get back into my routine.

Last night at bedtime I found myself in a double-pointed-needle knitting euphoric state and not ready to sleep. I finally convinced my knitting fingers to stop, my mind to rest and my body to walk up to the bedroom where I tossed a bit unable to quite drift away to Sleepytown.

I finally got a little shut eye, but not before our cats started fighting. . . not downstairs. . . not on the floor. . . not even in the other room. . . I think they launched a battle to the death in the slim space between Cynical and I on the bed. Yes, on the bed. I am not sure who won or if a belt was awarded, but finally the brawl broke up and I snuggled back in for the night.

Then around 4 a.m. Ike, our beloved second born, opted to start taunting me by knocking random items off our shelves, turning over trash cans and walking repeatedly across my pillow. After several failed attempts to run him off, shame him or otherwise banish him to the basement, I finally opted to give up and pretend I never owned a white, pestering cat.

Apparently this last bout was enough for Cynical who woke up and wanted to talk. I rarely see him and I hated to cut off the conversation, so I turned to see his face as he spoke and listened as he fretted and conversed.

The alarm went off and I knew my own battle for sleep was over, so I shuffled down the stairs, turned on the television and stole 15 minutes of sleep, probably the best 15 minutes I have ever had.

I was sharp this morning, but I am dulling as the day progresses and am tempted to break my one-cola-a-day rule.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fight the cola! Choose coffee instead!

JK

I hate caffine, although usually a constant sip of cold water will keep me awake...and in the bathroom as well. LOL!

Nan said...

I woke up at 4:30am this morning, went to the bathroom, came back to bed very quietly only to be startled by Hub's voice, "I'm awake. Wide awake. Can't sleep."

I was aching to fall back to sleep before I reached that point from which there's no return but I, like you, hated to fly off to Slumberland with him battling the sandman for a little more sand.

So we talked a little, not a lot. Then we both lay there for what seemed like forever trying to get back to sleep. I know I was eventually successful and he wasn't because when I woke up he had gotten up and shut the door so the TV wouldn't wake me.

I'm so glad neither of us had to be at work this morning!