Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Off to a good start. . . kinda sorta

I reckoned that if I did indeed have to go to work today, that I might as well try to make the best of it. As part of my whole get-back-into-the-groove-of-things push, I decided to get up early, slap on my new Crest White Strips, hit the treadmill and have some time to relax, knit or read before I headed out in the cold to bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan.

It didn't all go exactly according to plan, however. I did get up early. I did manage to slap on those nasty, nasty tooth-whitening slivers of Saran Wrap and then gag the entire time over the taste. (I am not sure what I expected, but would some orange flavoring break the bank over there at Crest? I'd kick in another dollar or two just not to have the taste of a chemical spill in my mouth. Why not grape, grape is good.)

I didn't hit the treadmill. I didn't take time to knit or relax. I just left early for work in hopes of having a little bit of a jump on the day.

And as we near lunch, I realize that I have nothing with any nutritional value within reach, which means I will have to venture out and try to make a healthy choice at places that thrive on the exact opposite. So much for New Year's resolutions.

Update: I pondered and pondered and that took an extra day, so I am just now announcing the winner(s) of the "Name that Sock Monkey and Win Great Prizes" contest.

And the winner is. . . Hope. Who could resist naming their monkey "Walter". Hope, all you gotta do is e-mail me (raggedaroundtheedges (at) hotmail (dot) com) your particulars so I can send your handsome reward your way.

And because she's so great to go to all of that trouble to do the research on the history of sock monkeys. . . Farmwife, you're a winner too. Give me some time and you too will find something in your mailbox.

5 comments:

emily said...

Geting up early & whitening your teeth is a step. F-in treadmills. I'm in need of motivation. Got any?

Anonymous said...

I have a horrible gag reflex...couldn't do white strips. Ugh!

BTW, did you name Sock Monkey? I'm breathless in anticipation!

madretz said...

I so hate that flavor, too. I've never been able to complete a whole session because I can't convince myself that whiter teeth is worth that horrid, gag inducing taste.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm breathless in anticipation for mail! I love the name of your sock monkey...as it's my...shh, don't tell anyone...maiden name. Oops, I think I may be giving up my anonimity.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought about trying those white strips. Glad I read about the taste first. Love the name for the sock monkey. My first thought for him was Red Chief from the O'Henry short story Ransom of Red Chief, but after reading the other entries, especially Farm Wife's research, I opted out. I'll never be able to look at another sock like that again without thinking about the whole contest and the trivia I learned.