Sunday, June 11, 2006

Dear Little Fig Tree,

Welcome to our home. It was so nice of you to agree to be gifted to us by my brother. It's such a generous gesture by you both.

You look so proud, all 18-inches of you. You show such promise and hope. You seem brave and stout.

I feel guilty keeping you here at Chez Ragged. I feel badly know that you don't have a clue as to what your true fate is. You have visions of fruitful branches and growing to great heights. You probably think you will treat us with delicious figs and cool summertime shade.

I fear, however, that in truth my brother has sentenced you to an unfair future, one that will mean a slow, painful death. You will go the way of the wave petunia, the pair of hostas, and numerous geraniums and soon our fern will join the ranks of sentenced plant life.

I have high hopes for you as well, that maybe we can break the chain and see you through to a ripe adulthood. I do, realize, however, that I may be fooling myself as well and I hate to provide you with a false hope.

For now, we will transplant you, making our best effort to provide good drainage and a rich soil. I will try to follow your planting and watering directions. We will try to get you off to a good start. I will try not to neglect you as the weeks get hectic.

I wish you luck, little fig tree. Welcome to our family. Say your prayers each night and I will add you to my list of things to do each week and maybe between the two we can free you from the fate of all of those that came before you.

Ragged
Plant Killer

2 comments:

Lynilu said...

Well, I said "kitty prayers" when Caroline and Laura's cat, Ben, went missing. I guess I can now say "fig tree prayers" for your new family member! Can't you just imagine a white bearded God sitting on a cloud, rolling his eyes and saying, "What will that Lyn do next?"

BTW, I made some of your salad tonight. WONDERFUL!! I also tossed in a little Vidalia onion and a some freshly cracked pepper.It was really good, and I didn't really care if I had the other stuff on my plate. Thanks for posting it.

Nan said...

I,too, am not known as a friend to any plants (except gourds). In the seventies the leaves fell off my plastic rubber tree. I hope your little fig makes it, but I have no hints on how to help it along. Good luck!