Friday, December 05, 2008

It's in the little things

I have said repeatedly that I tend to get a bit glum during the holidays. And you are probably sick of hearing about that. I know I am. I have, however, managed to find great cheer, joy and overall glittery happiness in so many of the small things the season brings and I am gonna share a few here. Do you mind?

I love, love, love peppermint stuff. And this is the time of year for all things peppermint-esque, isn't it? This morning I stopped for a venti, nonfat, Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha on the way to work. Upon arrival, I unwrapped a few Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses and smiled. I was off to a good start. (Seriously, have you had the candy cane Kisses? Happiness, kindness and world peace all wrapped up in foil. Amazing.)

I like Christmas music. This has nearly ended my 12-year relationship on many an occasion, but I do love it. Not all of it, but most of it. This morning I packed Christmas CDs ala James Taylor and Sarah McLachlan. Planning to listen to them to and fro work, not to mention during.

Later this month I am trekking to the horse racing capital of the world to visit with a dear, dear college friend. I must confess, she is the one person in the world that I feel truly, truly accepts me. Seriously, this girl can tolerate me in a way no one else can. And I love her for it. Unfortunately I tend to pour all of my angst onto her, but she's always up for the challenge. I am so looking forward to visiting with her two beautiful kids and spending some time just with her, no agenda, just us.

The light of our tree makes me so very happy. Hearing the cat beneath it drinking water out of the base, however, does tend to ruin the mood. That being said, relaxing in the living room by the light of those 1600 bulbs brings me such peace. I even turn it on in the morning while I am getting ready. I also put a small tree in the bedroom, such nice light, casts a whole new feel to the room.

Christmas cards! Who doesn't like getting good mail? And the month of December is full of it!

And I must confess, filling out those little tags that accompany gifted knitted items. I dunno, but it makes me feel good to think that someone will be wearing something I made just for them.

I am sure I'll find more little joys in the day. I am judging a lighting contest tonight with my partner in holiday cheer.

What makes you happy this time of year? Where do you find peace?

4 comments:

phinner said...

candy cane kisses...ummmm, creamy goodness!

all my good mail is etsy orders for me!!! lol!!! oh and catalogs. I may get my own xmas cards done and mailed sometime b/4 the end of the month!!!

happy friday!!!

madretz said...

Yesterday, I had my 1st grande nonfat peppermint mocha for the season. It's typically a weekly thing for me once december hits. then i went to trader joes, and i couldn't resist buying these chocolate peppermint truffles. amazingly, i've only had 1 so far! Oh yea, a few days ago...omg...the list could go on forever...i bot some chocolate peppermint brownies at whole foods, 1 of 4 brownies consumed. And while I'm on a roll, when I was at costco yesterday, i almost bot a huge tube of peppermint bark, but decided that i could make it if I really had to have it.
Yup, i think i love all things peppermint-esque, too!

OK!!! I am totally ROTFLOL because my word verification is:
"FATiesse". Um, do you think they are trying to tell me something??? Maybe I need to stop shopping chocolate and peppermint for at least a week. nahhhhhhhh!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, those peppermint Kisses are fantastic! I live your approach to surviving the holidays - focus on the positive.

Anonymous said...

God do I love Christmas music...I've been playing it almost 24/7 around here for the past few weeks. Granted, there is some horrific stuff out there, but man do I love some of the classics.

And I LOVE the holiday drinks at Starbucks. Being that I used to work there, you'd think I hate them(along with the Christmas music they played) but nope.